Wednesday 20 April 2011

The day Fiona Bruce was e-thumped by a 23-year-old singer from Colwyn Bay

As I am in Cardiff at the S4C New Media Forum, I thought it was time I pulled my finger out and uploaded the screengrab which shows how digitally connected the S4C audience really is.

Picture the scene, it's 845 on the night of Sunday the 6th of March, and yours truly is watching S4C's version of the XFactor/Eurovision Song Contest called 'Can I Gymru'. On BBC1, the sultry Fiona Bruce is making millions of men swoon with a heady combination of good looks and a great figure - I am, of course, talking about the artefacts she presents on Antiques Roadshow.

Now, I haven't done my research on the TV viewing figures for that day, but I'm guessing Antiques Roadshow is pulling in more than 3 million, where little old Can I Gymru is attracting 300,000 tops (10 percent of the AR audience).

So, you would expect more people to be talking about Fiona Bruce on Twitter than some Welsh music contest, wouldn't you? WRONG!

I give you evidence A - click this link and look at the Twitter trending on the right hand side and compare #CIG11 (the hashtag associated with Can I Gymru) with Antiques Roadshow.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't this just prove that people who watch the Antiques Road Show don't have much interest in Twitter? Not trying to take away from the achievement but just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben,
    First off, thanks for finding the blog and respondiong so quickly. Appreciate all comments.

    On the subject, I sort of disagree with you on that. I agree an 'older' audience are likely to be watching and are probably less likely to be using Twitter - but then I think the same argument can be levelled at CIG. It doesn't really attract a young audience either.
    And for me, it is still a bit of a volume thing. Surely there were more people in the whole of the UK tweeting on a Sunday night that might have had AR on as 'wallpaper' than were watching CIG at all.
    What I think CIG did have was a smaller but highly active audience live tweeting -and that's what dragged it up the trends.
    Now, a fellow tweeter has pointed out to me that most of the Tweets about CIG were slagging it off - but then most of thre Tweets about AR were doing the same.
    I don't think that matters - the positive thing for me about it is that people in Wales WERE participating on Twitter in a decent enough number to get that effect. Which is very hartening when all you hear about S4C and Wales in general is that is hasn't embraced new tech.

    ReplyDelete