Tuesday 10 May 2011

I'm buzzzz-ing after that match

We should never laugh when someone is injured at a football match. But as I was doing my research for a safe standing article for the next issue of F.C. Business, I couldn’t help but have a little chuckle at some of the injuries people pick up when watching the beautiful game.

For example, did you know that 43 people were stung by a wasp at UK football grounds last year?! I’m not able to tell you if that was down to one swarm of wasps or 43 separate attacks. But I find it amazing that it is the 10th biggest reason why people are injured at UK football matches.

I mean, it’s too cold for wasps for most of the season – so there must have been an influx of the blighters at the start and end of the season. The moral is – take your Raid spray with you to every game.

Oh, no, hold on….you can’t take aerosols into football grounds!

Are our clubs leaving their fans vulnerable to unnecessary injury? Should Claims Direct or Injury Lawyers 4 U be swarming around football grounds looking for people with sore arms?!

Maybe Rentokil should sponsor all summer soccer games and hand out free lemon-scented candles to ward away the flighty characters?

In other silly injury news. Did you know a 108 people were hit by a football in a stadium last year? I can totally sympathise with this and I was probably on this statistics list in season 2007/2008 when a Michael Chopra slice connected with the perspex on the press box at the old Ninian Park and smashed it while I was reporting live on the game for BBC1 Final Score.

They never replaced the perspex as they were about to move into the new stadium. However, I would like to think that it was left broken as a monument to me – a sort of Blue Plaque to mark my place on the list of the UK football injured.

Wasp victims and those bruised by sphercial leather -British football salutes you!

You can see the full injury statistics here http://www.flaweb.org.uk/docs/injstat.php

No comments:

Post a Comment